Monday, July 27, 2020 12:00:00 PM
Dear Scouting Family of the Sam Houston Area Council,
The leadership of the Sam Houston Area Council would like to present this, our tenth update, on our response to the COVID-19 outbreak and protocols for Scouting operations going forward. We appreciate your continued patience as we navigate this situation as best we can.
- Any units wishing to conduct small-scale meetings or activities should do so only if able to meet specific preventative guidance from the State of Texas and the Center for Disease Control and upon consultation with and approval from their chartered organization.
- All in-person district and council meetings through September 30th are cancelled or postponed unless conducted over teleconference or online. This includes district committee meetings, district roundtables, and council committee meetings.
- Council Coordinated Meeting, scheduled for August 20th, will be conducted virtually. Please visit here to register in advance (required).
- No overnight district or council activities may be conducted through September 30th.
- Day-only activities by a district or the council may be conducted, with prior approval of the council’s Enterprise Risk Management committee. Only approved activities will appear on the council and district official websites. All events must meet strict social distancing protocols that have been shared with District Key-3 leadership.
- Merit Badge Days will continue to be held at Tellepsen Scout Camp on Saturdays in August and in September, they will extend to Camp Strake. More information, including how to register, may be found here and will be updated as more days are added.
- Weekend camping for Cub Scouts at Bovay Scout Ranch is cancelled through December 31st. This cancellation includes, but is not limited to, Cub Scout Adventure Camp, Fun with Family, and Webelos Coyote Extreme.
- All packs registered for weekend camping for the Fall at Bovay Scout Ranch will receive a full refund.
- Additional “Outdoor Sports Days” will be conducted at Bovay Scout Ranch during the fall. Activities will include BB guns, archery, water activities, fishing and a closing ceremony. More information, including registration, will be available in August.
- The Cockrell Scout Center remains open for drop off only with hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday.
- Any interaction needed with staff members must be conducted through phone and email. If you need assistance determining the appropriate person to contact, please refer to our updated “who to call directory,” or contact the receptionist at (713) 659-8111 during our office hours to be directed to the appropriate person.
- Field-based staff (District Executives) will be working remotely during this time and are available by phone and email.
- The 5 Scout Shop locations are open to limited retail traffic. Please visit here for more store information, including updated store hours.
- Our council program team is currently looking at alternative planning for major council events later in the Fall - including University of Scouting, Order of the Arrow Events, and Winter Camp. More information regarding those events will be made available as the situation evolves.
Our Enterprise Risk Management Team is working regularly and diligently to determine our plans going forward. If you have any questions regarding the COVID-19 response for the Sam Houston Area Council, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The council remains committed to keeping our constituents updated regularly with new information as we have it. We will continue to communicate through three main mechanisms – Facebook, Email, and Council Website. Please consult these regularly for updates.
Thank you for all you do for Scouting
Chair of the Board
Scout Executive / CEO
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at email@example.com.
As this is a constantly evolving situation, please regularly monitor our standard means of communication (Facebook, Email, and Council Website) for updates.
BSA National Statement on COVID-19 Previous Updates
Rank Advancement Update Scouting at Home Digital Safety Online Meeting Resources