Dear Scouting Family of the Sam Houston Area Council,
The leadership of the Sam Houston Area Council would like to present this, our fifth update, on our response to the COVID-19 outbreak and protocols for Scouting operations going forward. We appreciate your patience as we navigate this situation as best we can.
Yesterday Harris County announced a Work Home, Stay Home Order through April 3rd. This is in conjunction with the current White House and Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidance already in effect. As a result, the following will now be in effect:
- The Cockrell Scout Center and all Scout Shop locations will remain closed until Monday, April 6th. This is subject to change as the situation evolves. Please monitor our communications for any updates. As a result:
- Field-based staff (district executives) will be working remotely during this time and are available by phone and email.
- The processing of most Eagle applications will be suspended during the office closure. All pending Eagle applicants should consult the updated Advancement information for COVID-19 from National BSA. Please send any further advancement questions or concerns to Brendan Cronin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Refunds for any cancelled or postponed activities and events will be processed when the Cockrell Scout Center reopens.
- All district and council meetings, activities, and events through May 4th are canceled or postponed. Meetings that can be rescheduled over teleconference or online are approved.
- Council Coordinated Meeting, scheduled for April 23rd, has been canceled.
- As previously announced, Scout Fair, scheduled for April 4th at NRG Arena, has been canceled.
- All council camping facilities will be closed through May 4th. This closure will include all activities, trainings, and reservations for Camp Brosig, Bovay Scout Ranch, and Camp Strake.
- The Cub Scout Adventure Camps scheduled for April 17-19 and May 1-3 are canceled. After the Cockrell Scout Center reopens, we will work to reschedule or refund units for their participation in these event.
- The OA Arrowman Bash scheduled for April 24-26 has been rescheduled for May 15-17 at Camp Strake. Any questions or concerns should be directed sent to email@example.com.
- Powder Horn, scheduled for April 17-19 and May 1-3 have been postponed. We will communicate updated dates once scheduled.
- Wood Badge Course 20-1, scheduled to have its second weekend on April 25-26, will be rescheduled. We will communicate directly with participants regarding rescheduling this training.
- The Scout Fair Coupon Book Sale for 2020 is now closed. This decision has been made to comply with social distancing guidelines placed into effect by the CDC. After the Cockrell Scout Center reopens, we will begin collecting final turn-ins and processing commission checks so that units will have funds available for summer programming. More information will be sent to those units participating in the sale in the next week.
- The online popcorn sale is open. The online popcorn sale is a great opportunity to raise funds for your unit’s Scouting program virtually – all while keeping social distancing intact. For more information on how to participate, please contact Mary Welch (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The council’s Eagle Scout Reception scheduled for May 3rd has been postponed. We are working to reschedule this event for the fall.
- Units should continue to consult with their chartered organizations to determine the best path forward for their Scouting programs. We strongly encourage units to comply with all current recommendations of the CDC, the White House, and local jurisdictions. There are a number of great resources available regarding Scouting program during this period of social distancing:
This situation continues to be dynamic and changing daily. Our Enterprise Risk Management Team is working regularly and diligently to determine our plans going forward. If you have any questions regarding the COVID-19 response for the Sam Houston Area Council, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at email@example.com. The council remains committed to keeping our constituents updated regularly with new information as we have it. We will continue to communicate through three main mechanisms – Email, SHAC Website, and Facebook. Please consult these regularly for updates.
Thank you for all you do for Scouting
Chair of the Board
Scout Executive / CEO
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As this is a constantly evolving situation, please regularly monitor our standard means of communication (Facebook, Email, and Council Website) for updates.
BSA National Statement on COVID-19 Previous Updates
Rank Advancement Update Scouting at Home